Tuesday, April 27, 2010

Killing Frost

As I pulled into the driveway of my 2:00 appointment I could not help but notice the beautiful landscaping. The large brick home had flowering plants,shrubs and trees everywhere. April is azalea season in central Georgia and they weren't holding anything back. Since this large home was on the lake I knew I was looking at the "back" of the home and could hardly wait to see what was around front. I was a few minutes early so I gave myself a tour. The owners told me that they were no longer living here but it sure didn't look that way.

I located a paved walkway on the left side and made my way around the house. There was twice as much yard on the lakeside and a large inground pool ringed with red,pink and white azaleas. A large potting shed with resting rakes and shovels was surrounded by raised beds with things sprouting and blooming that I couldn't identify. The walkway on toward the lake was flanked by purple Iris' that were waist high and in full bloom. I spotted the lakefront in the distance and headed for the dock. On both sides of the dock, right at the shoreline were two raised beds of nothing but roses.These were not the garden variety knockout kind sold at Lowes either. As I looked closer I noticed that they were each a different kind. Some were climbers,some were not. Some had very large blooms and some had very small ones. There were probably 50 different varieties! Somebody really knew what they were doing.

I walked out onto the dock and was admiring the lakeview when I heard a car door slam. My appointment to put this beautiful home on the market was about to begin. As I was walking back I wondered why anybody would want to sell this paradise. I knew they were an older couple wanting to downsize, but leaving this would be tough. I made my introduction to the couple and told them what a lovely home they had. The husband quickly told me how much work was involved in the upkeep and that this needed to be "someone elses" job.

He pointed out sprinkler heads and electrical outlets on our way back to the house. He showed me where the pool filter was located and the lawnmower was stored. He pointed out underground drain pipes and a buried propane tank, but he never mentioned the flowers. When I turned to the silent wife and told her how beautiful the rose garden was. She just smiled and looked away.

After the tour of the interior was complete we sat down at a large table and I opened the folder that contained my listing presentation. I turned to the still silent wife and once again told her what a beatiful home she had. She just smiled and looked absently toward the lake. I knew this must be tough for her. We agreed on a list price and I filled out all of the necessary paperwork that modern real estate drowns in. The last step would be there signatures and I would be on my way. The husband quickly signed his part, leaving each form open to the place where his wife would sign. For a few seconds he looked at me without saying a word. He took the pen, put it in wife's hand and closed her fingers around it. She looked at him and smiled. She looked at me and smiled. It was then that I realized that the greenest of thumbs is no match for the killing frost that is Alzheimer's Disease.

2 comments:

  1. This got me Ande. I could tell this was going to be touching and it still got to me. You really sounded like you handled this with such dignity and compassion. I'm glad I read this tonight.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I was ready as well but you made me see this with the prefect parralel, the killing frost. Made me wish I had written this sad but true to life observation...Pop

    ReplyDelete