Tuesday, May 4, 2010

Blindside

It took a few minutes to adjust to the light as we walked outside into the blinding midday sun. The crowded parking lot bore no resemblence to the Pandora we left in the movie theatre. Everything looked plain and quiet. Our ears were still ringing and imaginations fueled. When we got in the car I said " If you only see one movie this year, it should be Avatar". Glad my fantasy loving wife and daughter dragged me along. We talked about the movie the whole way home and vowed to own it when it came to DVD.

Going to the theatre to watch movies has become an extremely expensive event. We look at the new releases and movie trailers and try to decide which ones warrant going to see and which ones to wait on. Usually the more action the film has determines this decision. "Blindside" was a film that did not make the large screen cut for us. Probably because we heard it was sad and we didn't want to waste the pocket space smuggling in kleenex. My wife and I both are embarassing snifflers and watch some movies with our backs touching. My daughter thinks this is not very cool, so we try not to do it in public.

We rented "Blindside" and joked that we would each bring a towel instead of wasting a box of tissue. Our movie room in the basement is really almost as good as the cinema. We have a projector and a sound system, and yard sale furniture that is very comfortable. Nobody kicks the back of your seat and there are never any screaming children. The room is nice and dark and we can sit far enough away from each other to have a private experience. Perfect.

Well the movie was excellent. Uplifting instead of sad and it really made me think. Would I have taken in that boy like that family did? Have I had the chance and passed it up? Looked the other way and went on with my busy life. Probably. I am a "have", and he is a "have not". I have a home. I have a family. I have people that love me. These are not small things,these are everything. We all have a great gift to give that doesn't cost a dime, love.

If you see one movie this year, it should be "Blindside"

3 comments:

  1. You have a gift Ande. I love the 3 sentences at the end. You are so right, those who love us are not small things-they are indeed everything.

    ReplyDelete