Wednesday, November 3, 2010

All Boy

Growing up with two brothers I could never have been accused of not being being all boy. I got my first stiches when I was five years old. In the head of course, but from this I learned to always face the direction in which you are running. Didn't make that mistake again though I did end up with enough stiches in other places to sew a leather jacket. Attractive when you get older.

I learned that horses should come with a saddle AND a helment from a private rodeo some neighborhood kids and I had. Came out of that one with a concussion and some hoofprints on my chest, but I did learn to speak a little horse language that has since come in handy. When you sit on a horse's back and he turns his head to look at you it means "I'm fixin to kill you". You simply slide off his back and do something else. I usually thank the horse for the warning and tell him "sorry, I didn't know". They don't seem to hold a grudge.

There were countless other lessons I learned along the way. Basketball and new shoes don't mix, three wheelers will cut a nice donut, but not with you still on it and on and never jump up and attempt pull a garage door down unless you are absolutely sure it is disengaged. All of these involved either lots of blood or broken bones and the hurt quite a lot! I have always considered myself a quick learner because once was enough for everything mentioned so far.

But tonight as I sit here and write this I have to say that there is no pain worse than a bad back. I do know this time what caused my back to "go out", but for me it often happens without warning. Go to bed at night feeling fine and wake up in a fetal position. Standing still you feel fine, but move an inch to the right or left and you have to hold your breath. Sneeze and you will pass out. You walk around in an awkward stance that looks like you have something stuck in your butt. Usually it only lasts a day or two and I'm as good as new. Toady is day two.

I wish I could tell you that the doctor says that what I suffer from is minor and it will just run it's course, but of course I have never gone to the doctor when my back is out. Like a pimple I just let it clear up on it's on. But the psychological part of a bad back is the worst. Maybe this time it wont fix itself. Maybe I'll be stuck like this forever! I look fine but I can't tie my own shoes. Instant old man. I have decided tonight that if you can't put on your own shoes, then maybe you don't need shoes! I have learned the reason they make tennis shoes with velcro closures...I wish I had some!

4 comments:

  1. I guess that I have always fit the old saying "strong back, weak mind"...It is just one part of me that hasn't, at this advanced age, failed me, yet. Hope you straighten up soon. love you, Pop

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ande, I understand your pain. I too have been in excruciating pain (back pain) for 2 days now. Must be something in the air.

    All day today, I've been looking at a counter top full of clean dishes to put away. Everything that goes in a cabinet above the counter-top is put away. I can't handle the thought of bending to put away the other items. So they sit on the counter until a better day.....a day I can bend without pain. Although I did have a fleeting thought of throwing those items in a box....but then I would have to bend down to get that box.....sucks!

    Unlike you, I have the MRI that shows why I have my back pain. But I'm in denial....I'm too young for this. Just want this to go away.

    Hey...I agree, who needs shoes....just wear flip flops if you have to have something on your feet.
    Hope you feel better soon!

    your sister-in-law's sister Sheila

    ReplyDelete
  3. So you understand Shelia! A few years ago my daughter Taylor was eating some banana pudding at a family function. It looked good so I asked her for a bite. As she was feeding me some she said "I guess I should get used to this, I'll be feeding you one day". That is what I've thought of everytime she has helped me out of my chair! Sorry about your back. Flip Flop power!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ande~ I so feel your pain. About once a year, my sciatic nerve gets pinched or aggravated or whatever, and the pain is worse than having a baby. At least you can have an epidural when having a baby.
    Great writing (as always!)
    Hang in there, Hope the pain goes away soon.
    Love ~Mandy

    ReplyDelete