Monday, March 21, 2011

Love story

I have to admit I was a little nervous when my parents told me they were going to be portrayed in a play about Milledgeville.
"A play about ya'll?" I asked them on several occasions.
"Your lives..my life?"
"Well, yeah." was the usual answer that was accompanied by a downright weird look.
If this made me uneasy I can only imagine how they were feeling. What did they tell the interviewers? Anything about me? I'm pretty good now, but I wasn't heavily recruited as a choir boy.
"What did they want to know?" Take a deep breath Ande.
I wouldn't say there was much to 'hide', it's just that I wondered what would make the show and what would be on the cutting room floor. Editing can create an entirely new story. Volkswagons and peace signs. Long hair and beads. Take another breath Ande.
Well the play was not just about them. I misunderstood. They had a large part, but it included other locals as well. Some pillars of the community and some just characters. It was tasteful and the actors were great. It made me think about people and places that haven't crossed my mind in years. I thought about walking home from school in the third grade when my only concern was a neighborhood dog. I thought of my first job at a full service gas station downtown and of the people I met there. How cheap everything used to be! But it mainly made me think of my mama and daddy. Their story. You know, I think it was about just them, one of the greatest love stories of all times.

No comments:

Post a Comment