Thursday, December 29, 2011

whoo-whoo

It never ceases to amaze me how often I think about someone that I haven’t seen in ages and the next thing I know they are standing behind me in the checkout line at the grocery store. It’s almost like you knew you were going to see them soon and your brain was doing the prep work. Going over the notes before the big test? I don’t know if this is some kind of sixth sense, but I do try to pay attention to these things. They might just be important.

It’s not hard to imagine that my wife and I would share a common wave length, we’ve been together over half of our lives. But almost every day (if I call her) she says “I was just thinking about calling you”. It happens so often I don’t give it a second thought. But what about when this “whoo-whoo” thing happens with old friends? What about extended family…or ideas; how much time do you spend on those thoughts? I have random “good ideas” all the time that I usually just let slip away or write off as daydreaming.

My wife and I spend a lot of time “double daydreaming”. We dream out loud of things to add to our “some-day list”. Not things like winning the lottery or going to the moon, but more practical ideas like building a new house in the country or moving to the beach. I think it is really the only way that you will truly know what your partner is thinking, and it does help some of these dreams actually happen. The ideas have changed over the years as many of our dreams have been realized, but the latest one seems like the best ever; owning a bed and breakfast.

Really it would be more like a bed and supper, but that’s just a technicality. It would probably end up being more work than either of us would really want, but it does sound like fun meeting and cooking for a few new people every night. Of course we would locate in some semi-exotic location and the house would practically take care of itself, but we are dreaming, right? If we ever stop and declare just how much work it would really be the dream would be over. No need in killing our dream of the last few years over details!

But mixed in with every dream is the reality of day to day life. Christmas is always a busy time; a time when you need to think of others more than yourself. We don’t need anything, and all we really wanted this year was some time off together; we are getting that right now. But I must admit that I wonder about the meaning of what happened to me when I checked my email Christmas morning. We were in a bit of a rush to get out and be with family, but I was ready before the girls and decided to turn on the computer. I replied to a few emails and deleted them but I couldn’t make myself delete the single message in my spam box; three months of free advertising on Bedandbreakfast.com! Whoo-whoo!

2 comments:

  1. Let's make it a bed and breakfast for folks who want tot come and learn crafts and folk arts. I supply the teaching parts with all our crafty friends. We can be a flatlander John Campbell school.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like it Jessica! Hope ya'll have a great 2012!

    ReplyDelete