Monday, May 7, 2012

Generic Psychology


We have a pretty typical routine at my house during the week. My wife is usually up before the alarm clock sounds, but I hang on and squeeze out the last few minutes of off and on sleep. After I grudgingly make it to vertical I grab a cup of coffee and turn the television on to catch the weather. Our daughter has been my morning job since she was old enough to go to school, probably because I’m just a more efficient morning person. Don’t confuse this with a ray of sunshine; I’m just better at doing the most mundane of tasks predictably.

The three of us don’t have a lot of meaningful conversation at this time of day; we just make small talk and comment on the news and weather. My wife is the least regimented of the three of us, but she will usually show up in front of the television for the daily segment of leadership advice offered by a local psychologist. Honestly I kind of halfway listen; not because I don’t like him, (he seems like a very smart man) it’s more that I really don’t appreciate generic psychological advice. Before I go any further let me say that I am probably a prime candidate for some therapy I just don’t see the value in the summary version…and I think it can be harmful.

This morning I did listen. It was probably because the doctor kind of struck a nerve with me and where I am with my career path; undecided for sure, unhappy…maybe. What he basically said this morning was that if you were not in love with your job you would never be more than marginally successful at it. If someone didn’t tear you away from this job at the end of the day you would work until you dropped! How many of us would pass this test? To take his advice I would have to sit at home and read all day (for big bucks of course) with my wife and daughter happily doing their favorite tasks at my side. Ok, I know this is not exactly what he meant, but this highlights the problem I have with “the shotgun approach” to counseling.

We have all fallen in to the trap of needing everything in our lives to be perfect. Gone are the days of fixing things that are in need of repair, these things are now replaced; upgraded. We take the aforementioned career counseling and apply it to all other facets of our lives. Am I ecstatically happy with my marriage every day? Of course I’m not, but it doesn’t cross my mind to look for a newer and better one. It makes me want to work harder on the one that I have so much time invested in. If there is a problem I want to first rule out it being my lack of effort.

I’m sure that some will read this and think that what I suggest is simply to settle for what you have; make the best of it and ride it out. Well I don’t think you should stay in an abusive relationship (home or job) and I think that the pursuit of happiness is probably the most important human function. But I also think you should look at your both your domestic and work life as a work in progress. Be sure that you don’t give up before you have given your best try. As Morgan Freeman said in Bruce AlmightySome of the happiest people in the world come home in the evening smelling to high heaven”. So what if my favorite job is one that allows me to run out and make a little money then come home in the evening and give my family my undivided attention? Sounds good to me, but I think I just failed the test given by the TV psychologist!

There is much more that I would like to say about our “throw away” mentality, but I’ve gone on way to long with this one. I’ll pause here and say don’t get bogged down or defeated by generic counseling. If you must, I would recommend the E-Cards that I see on Facebook; if you’re going to learn some hard lessons why not at least laugh while you’re doing so!

No comments:

Post a Comment