Wednesday, June 12, 2013

A path

Buried in my list of unpublished blogs are three drafts, written about the same subject, that I just can’t seem to finish. I think I know what I want to say, but each time I begin I end up spiraling in several (often unrelated) directions. How could a subject so simple lead my mind in so many directions? I’ve made an executive decision to just lay it out there and see where everyone else’s mind wants to go.

The subject in question is a small dirt trail carved neatly into the thick green grass of my lawn. This path winds around the side of my house from the garage to the back steps and is as neat and smooth as any made by man or machine. Both of my cats and my current dog use this path on a daily basis and I have even witnessed the propane delivery guy drag his hose around back using the trail as though it was made just for him. At only a few inches wide, I have always been amazed at how permanent this trail has become.

The machine that carved this path was a little 35 pound border collie. Even though he has been gone for almost two years, the trail is as neat and smooth as the last day he used it. As I was cutting the grass last weekend, I have to admit that my heart skipped a little when turned toward this side of the house and noticed the path; he was a good guy and a great companion. But I also understand that he created this trail simply because it was the shortest distance between to places he wanted to be; he wasn’t carving a monument to honor his existence.


But as we go about our day to day lives, how do we know exactly when we are creating something as permanent and lasting as this faint little trail? Maybe we should just assume that we always are. Speak as though someone is listening; act as though everyone is watching. You never know, one of those little trails you are carving may be one that will still be here long after you are gone.

5 comments:

  1. You just never know...
    Beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sometimes it amazes me at what we see if we simply look away for a few seconds, minutes, years...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Been posting on this very thought this am...Saw a little bird quietly sunning itself...Went to the spot after it flew and put my hand on the spot...It will be a while before I will let my mind finish with that small piece of ground...I do so love reading your writing...Thank you Buddy Jeans...Such a place you did make for yourself and for us...Pop

    ReplyDelete
  4. It seems like the older I get the more often I think "I should remember this" about some of the most average things.

    ReplyDelete