Wednesday, July 31, 2013

A Cobbler's Son

“A cobbler’s son has no shoes” I’ve been aware of this saying for what seems like most of my life, but until recently I’d never given it much thought. Honestly I think the primary use of this saying is to let someone off the hook for not doing something that they should have long since done; so let’s just say it makes a good excuse. Because if you really think about it…this is a really stupid phrase!

Have you ever seen a pawn shop owner that didn’t wear a lot of jewelry; or a hardware store owner using a hammer with duct tape on the handle? Antique dealers with a particle board entertainment center standing proudly in the living room are about as common as an accountant with tax problems. I’m not so sure cobblers really exist in modern times, but I all but guarantee you that the owner of a shoe store has an exceptional (if not embarrassing) collection of footwear! Trust me; the cobbler’s son would have had plenty of shoes if he hadn’t spent so much time with that damn budget-killing puppet!

I think of this today as I sit in my recliner typing on the computer. This is without a doubt my favorite spot in the house and it’s where I do some of my best thinking. But today, instead of kicking back comfortably while writing, I am sharing my space with a massive 6 ½ pound chair-hogging Chihuahua! Dog number two; pet number four. The cobbler’s shoes are beginning to stack up.

As a family we have discussed the merits of owning one dog at a time on many occasions. This had to be spoken aloud when we started volunteering for an animal rescue group, otherwise we would quickly become a satellite location! The best way to spot the new guy at the shelter is to count his animals. But I really don’t intend to have too many and I tell myself that if the new dogs wasn’t the polar opposite of my old one, I would not have taken her home. I tell myself lots of things.


I think I will sign off now and maybe go and change my shoes. I’ve had this one pair on since breakfast, and while they are very comfortable, I really have some others that I want to wear today!                          

4 comments:

  1. Good one, Ande. Except I probably have more shoes than jewelry. And I have more dogs than you do!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Confession is good for the soul. Keep on confessing.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Marsha used to say this every time I would take some piece of my blacksmithing trade that I had made as a gift for her..." I promise, Baby, If I sell it at this show, I will make you another one ". Guess you can see where this is going...By the way...I am wearing the shoes that y'all gave me for Christmas...They are still carrying the mail for me and no, I haven't given away all my other shoes...Can't tell when I might need them...Wedding or Funeral or something...Pop

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm so used to Facebook that I was looking for a like button for these comments. I guess by adopting Cookie I was telling myself that Sunshine was an apple and Cookie was an orange! I was actually more right than I could have know, the little one is way more REAL dog!

    ReplyDelete