Sunday, February 19, 2012

Winter

Mid-winter in Georgia can only be described as long ugly. I know that my friends from the north will be quick to say that I don’t know what a real winter is like, but I do have a pretty good idea. It’s colder and longer than it is here…right? That’s enough for me. I’ve been to Boston in late December and I’m smart enough to know that the only reason I didn’t kill myself is because I only stayed a few days. It’s kind of like visiting the zoo; I love elephants and tigers but I don’t care to live with them.

But is it really much worse to live where the winters are “real”? At least there is snow to cover the imperfection of dormant plants and muddy ditches. Snow mobiles to ride and slopes to ski offer entertainment, and what makes a better picture than a Cardinal on a snow capped bird feeder? But surely this gets old. How many times can you video the dog running in circles and biting the falling snow before you admit that what would really be nice is for it to just warm up! Dogs love to swim. Is it actually worse to just be teased with winter?

We have those really nice days here that everyone calls bonus southern winter days; 75 degrees in January! But have you noticed that these teasers usually occur on Tuesday? By the time the weekend rolls around it’s rainy and cold; a computer weekend. “Ha ha, this should fool them!”

As I stand at the window looking at my backyard all I really see is work; exposed things. Limbs that need pruning, fallen trees that need chopping and a pool that needs cleaning all vie for my attention. (The pool seems like a cruel joke) Give me foliage or give me snow; give me something to cover the ugly season.

3 comments:

  1. Ande, Ande...you just gotta' learn to appreciate the lovely lines of trees and shrubs that are only visible in winter. You've just gotta' make more soup, watch more birds, learn to drink wine and appreciate the fact that your roof is not about ready to collapse from the weight of 10 ft. of snow.

    ReplyDelete
  2. How soon they forget...Everything in its season...Pop

    ReplyDelete
  3. I need one of those helmets that shines a light in my eyes. This weather brings out my "postal" side!

    ReplyDelete