Friday, March 30, 2012

Good Luck

I’ll just start by saying that I don’t buy lottery tickets. I should probably correct that statement by saying that I don’t usually buy lottery tickets because I’m liable to do almost anything every now and then. I’ve read all of the statistics and mathematical formulas about how bad the odds are against my winning, but I don’t think that is why I don’t buy them. I think it has more to do with the fact that buying the tickets is just one more thing to keep up with. After a few days in a row of buying them it would no longer be special. Feed the cat, pay the power bill, take a shower, but the lottery tickets… then do it all over again tomorrow! Lottery ticket Groundhog Day!

I did buy tickets today though; I bought $10.00 worth. Ten cash option quick picks! Sounds like I know what I’m doing, huh? Kind of like buying a starter for your car at the auto parts store; “Yeah, it is the four bolt under-mount type…core’s in the trunk but the brushes are gone”. It helps to know the language. But why would I buy tickets now if my chances are no better of winning $10 million than they are for winning $640 million? Either amount would change my life forever! I heard on the radio that I had a better chance of being killed by metal falling from an airplane than I did of winning the jackpot. That does kind of put it in perspective; I’ve never met a person that was hit with airplane trash; they must be very rare. I wonder what the odds are of being hit with airplane trash while walking in the store to buy a lottery ticket? I’m sure there are charts that document these numbers.

But the atmosphere on the radio and television is almost festive when the jackpot gets this high. It is always the top story and I love the footage of the ticket buyers waiting in line; the “what if” stories are great! I know I’m not the only one that (after buying the ticket) silently makes plans on how the money would be spent. I think we are all superstitious enough to think that by promising a huge dollar figure for some type of philanthropic venture we will increase our chances of winning, but I’m pretty sure the odds remain the same; very poor! I remember an interview with Tim Teebow about his praying before (and during) each game. He said of course he prayed but he was pretty sure that most of the members of the opposing team were praying with an equal fury! So when praying for a football win or a lottery jackpot I guess we all just cancel each other out!

Luckily if you have yet to purchase your winning ticket there is still time to do so before the drawing. I would like to add that if you decide to venture out on this Friday evening you might want to be extra careful; the clouds have moved in and it is beginning to rain. With rain often comes thunder and lightning and (believe it or not) your chances of being struck by lightning are much greater than purchasing the winning ticket! Good luck.

1 comment:

  1. Somebody will win tonight for sure...Sure hope it's you...Can't think of anyone who would do better such a winfall...Pop

    ReplyDelete