Monday, March 5, 2012

James Peavy


I’m sure that those of you who knew this man longer than I did could tell more Peavy stories than me, but I will say that for the short time I knew him he made a big impression on me. He could tell a personal story dead-pan that would both curl your hair and leave you in stitches, and if it was your first encounter with him…scare you! His untimely death came so close to that of my brother’s that I often wonder if they just couldn’t stand being apart.

I had a hard time deciding which story to tell and honestly I may just write down all that I remember while they are fresh in my mind. Let me start by saying that I learned quite a few valuable things from him.

1. A dirt angel is just as pretty as a snow angel, and not nearly as uncomfortable to make.

2. A rattlesnake can be killed without a mark on him if you just “knock him in the head”.

3. Having your wallet on a chain comes in handy; you never know when you might have to put around your neck a wade across a beaver pond.

4. If you find more than one dead body you might not want to tell the authorities about the second one. It makes you look guilty of something.

5. A great way to limit your drinking is to store your supply at somebody else’s house that is too far away to walk.

Really I could go on with these tips forever, but if I do I’ll never get to a story. Anybody that knew Peavy very well had probably had a taste of his homemade liquor at least once. I would like to say that it was good, but let’s just settle for powerful! One sip was good; two sips meant a nap. I watched several people learn this lesson the hard way and end up making a dirt angel face down.

One night when we were sitting around a campfire I asked him what he used to make his home brew. I had visions of mules and whole kernel corn and feed sacks, but was a little surprised by his response. “I just go to the Piggly Wiggly when I can get a ride. They have everything you need”. Seemed like a pretty good way to get caught I thought, but I listened as he continued his story. “I walked up to the check-out counter with a buggy full of corn meal and sugar and the little girl working there asked me what I was going to do with all of this stuff. Without cracking a smile I said we’re having a pancake supper down at the church. You sure ought to come”!

She smiled as she took his money and never thought of it again. That’s just how Peavy was, he could tell you it was dark in the middle of the day and you would believe him. I guess the little check out girl wasn’t much of a cook because everybody knows cornmeal doesn’t make very good pancakes, but it will make some powerful moonshine! We still miss you James Peavy.





R

5 comments:

  1. Thank you Ande for sharing this story! I look forward to many more since I never had the pleasure of knowing Mr. Peavy. I did know one moonshiner in my younger years. A colorful neighbor and friend who would do anything for you. He actually served time once when caught at his still on family land. I asked him once about how he kept his moonshine making secret. His response was something like, "Hell, you can't sell it if you keep it a secret!" To evade authorities it was reported that he rode on the back of a bull to reach his still and not be tracked. He used to say that if he got to heaven and certain others were there, he'd ask for a transfer! He didn't have much use for hypocrites.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I wrote another story that I will post tomorrow. Your guy sounds a lot like Peavy! I can almost picture Peavy with that last quote about hypocrites. He was a rough looking character and scared a lot of people though he was physically a small man. My wife and daughter loved him like I did and I remember he came to my house once when I wasn't home but my in-laws were visiting. My mother in-law asked PJ if she was scared when he came up, and she said "no, I actually feel safer when he is around". He was a good man!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Very good! I love the picture and always loved the stories. I nearly died laughing when he told me number 4!

    ReplyDelete
  4. First ever did I think of Gus and peavy's connection in that light. Thanks for that good picture...I will never forget the time you came home and as you unlocked the chain that held your drive gate shut...There was a metal coathanger that had been opened at one end and was the hanger for a big canebreak rattler...Remember how Taylor loved that...POP

    ReplyDelete
  5. Number 4 is a story all in itself! We laughed a long time tonight about the rattler on the gate too.

    ReplyDelete