Thursday, March 1, 2012

My time is too valuable!

I sometimes wonder just how much smoother the road to my advanced age would have been if I was not such an opinionated person. I can make all of the guesses I want, but this will have to be placed in the category of “we’ll never know”! But I try very hard to be fair and listen to the opinions of others and believe it or not (for those who really know me) I often change my mind. Often is a word I seldom use…okay I digress in to song lyrics, but really, I do.

I use Facebook and Pinterest on a regular basis as a way to view what others are thinking; I think it helps ground me. It could be argued that there is not a lot of original thought on FB, and while this is often true, there is if you really look. Turns out that there are links to thousands of blogs that you would have otherwise never known existed! My family probably thinks that this is the last thing I need; more blogs to read and more internet time, but I go on several sites that interest me almost every day. Real Estate, energy and cooking to name a few, and I admit that I am constantly amazed by people. Amazed can mean many different things; “Wow you’re a genius” or “Wow, you’re an idiot”. Both are legitimate forms of amazement.

This morning I got caught up in a thread on a business site (the name of the trade is withheld to protect the innocent) that I visit most every day. They give points for blogging (and just visiting the site) and have created a core group that will rip you to shreds for having an opinion that they deem not good for business. This blogger went into great detail about how he had checked out one of the new social media sites and just couldn’t see how it was going to get him any new business. He was worried about posting protected images and really “his time was too valuable to waste on this new site”. Turns out our time has a price tag! Amazed again!

But really I understand that our time is valuable; we do have a limited amount. But I say that if your life and your job are one in the same, you need more life. I understand that we should throw ourselves in to our jobs, you have to or you won’t give it your all. But I also know that people (and business) will respond to you better when you are being yourself. “Well I am insert business here”. I’ve heard this one a million times and I’m not saying it’s necessarily wrong, but ask your kids who you are; ask your spouse who you are; see if that is the answer they give. If it is…you need more life.

1 comment: