Tuesday, March 13, 2012

Routine


The alarm clock blares and you reach over to give it a silencing whack. You then roll over, hug the pillow to your face and close your eyes; you might even mumble a few choice words. After coming to terms with which actual day of the week it is, it begins to sink in; the list of things to do; the list of things you forgot to tell your housemates the day before; the things you put on the "manana" list. Daylight Saving time does compound the confusion, but really each morning is about the same! A slight sense of panic? Sometimes…usually.

I've been married a long time. Elvis was not alive, but cell phones still came in a bag, Michael Jackson looked like a human being and we didn't even know George H. Bush had a grown son. To say that we have been together long enough to have a routine is an understatement. Throwing in a baby 15 years ago was weird at first, but now I hardly remember what life was like before that. Time has a way of flying; routines are solidified; traditions are established. This may sound dull to some, but there is comfort in it as well.

One of things that has become very important to me in the morning is to keep the conversation light. You know the “we’re all in this together” routine; treat your family like they are the guys digging the ditch with you, not the man that made you dig it. I’m not going to solve any of my problems by including anybody else in them, and I really (if you don’t mind) don’t want to hear yours! If you ask for a favor or a good decision, your chances are slim of getting of good one of either at this time of day. “Have a good day! See you at lunch! Don’t work too hard!” Meaningless words or a pep talk; either is fine with me.

Other drivers that pass my vehicle on the way to school in the morning are probably convinced that my daughter and I have lost it. We talk about meaningless junk and often laugh most of the way. I know some of it is an act from both of us, but it’s our routine and we do it for each other. If I forgotten to ask her an important question the day before I usually skip it. If it can’t wait I try to make a joke out of it; I blame myself or some third party that can’t be reached. The day is going to get here soon enough and the more that we ease in to it, the better off we’ll both be. Contrary to popular belief, diving in to cold water does not make it easier to tolerate, and the heart attack factor probably triples!

Sometimes you will live forever without getting credit for an accomplishment, and if you are waiting for a thank you…well you better hang your hat on another peg. But when (out of the blue) your daughter says “You know…I’ve realized that the more we laugh in the morning…the better my day ends up being”, you know you’re on the right track! I love it when a plan comes together!

2 comments:

  1. It is a stretch sometimes and we both have to work at it, but I do have a pretty good subject to laugh with!

    ReplyDelete